Monday, September 8, 2008

mock motivational poster using Our Blessed Elvis of South Main

mock motivational poster using  Our Blessed Elvis of South Main, motivational posters, demotivational posters, funny motivational posters
mock motivational poster using Our Blessed Elvis of South Main, originally uploaded by Gary Bridgman.

Created with fd's Flickr Toys. The photograph was taken during "Tribute Week" in Memphis in August 2003. I was standing on the train overpass near Central Station (Amtrak) in the South Main District. The Elvis impersonator (or just some sidewalk-phobic Memphian headed for a Dead Elvis party) is walking west on G.E. Patterson Blvd. between Front St. and Main St., passing a trolley stop. I was photographing Power House, the contemporary art museum occupying the train stations old power plant outbuilding, when this vision materialized.

I love parodies of motivational posters, so i jumped at the chance to compose my own using on of FD's Flickr Toys. I wanted a quote that made sense with the image, and the red cape and "hero of the comic book" seemed to be the best connection. For the record, this Elvis Presley quote comes from his acceptance speech for the 1970 Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Nation Award. Here is the full quotation, courtesy of Wikiquote:

"When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies, and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times... I learned very early in life that: 'Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain’t got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.' So I keep singing a song. Goodnight. Thank you."

Related Posts



0 comments: